[SI-LIST] Re: Best PDS impedance for package damping

  • From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:37:45 -0800

Steve - I completely agree that IC manufacturers should tell the board
integrators about the inductance, capacitance and the transient
current properties of their product.  Unfortunately, they usually
don't know.  It is easy to get capacitance information on a few gates
or inductance information on a few pins or vias.  But it is difficult
to obtain the aggregate (equivalent) inductance and capacitance that
appears to the PCB PDS.  Transient current is often more difficult
than inductance or capacitance and depends on the code that is running
at the time.

Another way to get this information is to measure it yourself.  By
mounting a processor or major ASIC on a bare fab, it is not difficult
to find the equivalent inductance, capacitance and resistance of the
component with a VNA S21 measurement.  Istvan and I have documented
the techniques for doing this in various papers.  Be sure and bias the
component with VDD because the capacitance across the device's power
terminals changes greatly between zero bias and normal bias.  By doing
this, you have measured the chip/package resonance frequency
(sometimes called cut-off) for the component on your board.  This
gives you great insight into what you need to do at the PCB level to
provide power to the part.  It also tells you what you cannot do (the
frequency beyond which the packaged chip is on it's own).

Your other issue has to do with the ability to verify that the PCB
assembly house has actually placed the decoupling capacitors you
specified.  This is a tough one.  One sure test is to measure the
impedance vs frequency of a sample of assembled boards and see if it
meets the impedance that it was designed to meet.  You cannot tell if
individual components are correct but you can tell if the PDS is going
to be able to meet the power requirements of the power consumers,
which is what you really wanted to know anyway.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

List technical documents are available at: