[SI-LIST] Re: Backplane modeling/simulation methodology

  • From: "James Church" <james.church@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:49:13 -0800

Keyvan,

Synopsys has done some work on their SPARAM models in the past year or
so they may be better now for your applications. I don't work for
synopsys, but I'm an HSPICE user. There's a lot of variation between
specific versions of HSPICE though.=20

With any tool I recommend modeling something I'm 99% certain about first
--basically using known standards to evaluate the tool. For example, I
would create a lossless 50ohm transmission line s-param model with an
ideal circuit source and simulate it in the simulator to see if you
obtain the textbook result.  If successful, I complicate the model one
step at time until I find something that breaks, or I run out of ideas.
If something doesn't make sense, check it out. HSPICE has a lot of
control options depending on the type of model. Once you know what
control settings give you the desired result, you can plug the model
into a more complicated model. Another method is to use competing tools
against one another and see if the results match. This does not
guarantee accurate results, but it's better than nothing.

When using any simulator, start simple and work toward making it more
complicated. Throwing everything into the box then trying to debug later
is a recipe for a lot of head banging. Each inputted model will likely
have it's own issues which are harder to debug in a system simulation.=20

With any simulation, your models could be bogus or the simulator could
have a problem, but I don't know any system that's 100% right 100% of
the time.=20