[SI-LIST] Re: Backdrill under BGA

  • From: "Gumaste, Vijaylaxmi" <Vijaylaxmi.Gumaste@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Aubrey Sparkman" <asparkman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bill Stube'" <Bill.Stube@xxxxxxxxxx>, "cygnul@xxxxxxxxx" <cygnul@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:57:50 -0700

Sam,

It depends on how many multi gig traces/via are needed in BGA design.

You could try eliminating stub altogether by transition from top to last layer;
and design a transparent via to account for capacitance using a 3D field solver.

Other options - use coreless substrates or build-up substrates with
blind/buried vias.

-Vijaya