[SI-LIST] Re: BGA vias outside the package

  • From: V S <for_si2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:17:28 -0800 (PST)

Scott,

First I will complement your answer by adding -

1. Your have 4 pins on 1.8V rail. Assuming the four traces coming from the four
balls have no coupling the total inductance will be equivalent to the parallel
combination of the inductance.

2. Find the change in current dI expected in your 1.8V rail. IF dV is the
maximum change in the voltage that your 1.8V rail can tolerate then the maximum
tolerable impedance Z is given by dV/dI.

3. Make sure that the impedance across all the frequencies as calculated in the
Scott's suggestion is less than this Z.

You will need to repeat the things for your 3.3V rail. For calculating dI, take
into account the maximum current consumption and the take into account current
due to charging the all IO pins simultaneously. If C is the capacitive load,
and if there are N IO pins, then this switching current can be gives as
NCdV/dT. You should be able to find C on the datasheet. dV/dT can also be found
on the datasheet. N is the maximum number of the IO pins. This switching
current should be applicable to 3.3V supply. I am not sure about 1.8V. I
believe, 1.8V is only the core voltage with not IO.

This will give you a pass or fail answer - or a ball park number. If you can
achieve the result with you existing design that is good. Otherwise, increase
the number of capacitors, use reduced series inductance capacitors. Recalculate
the check if you are meeting the required impedance target.

Vikas Shukla