[SI-LIST] Re: BGA routing

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Patrick Jabbaz" <patrick@xxxxxxxxx>, <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:30:25 -0700

Great!  Looking forward to the article.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Jabbaz [mailto:patrick@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 10:44 AM
To: Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx;
si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] Re: BGA routing

Ken
Regarding the VIA in PAD, we just had an IPC meeting regarding the
subject,
The Speaker Donald A. Carron
Director of Technology
TTM Technologies, Inc.
Santa Ana Division
Gave an excellent presentation on the topic VIA-IN-PAD "a new approach"
He explained in detail, the new process regarding via fill, to make a
long story short, the problems you mentioned regarding VIA In Pad, are a
thing of the past, quite a few PWB board fabricators now have the
capabilities to have standard drill vias filled with epoxy, and are
capped by conductive material to a very flat surface, I have used them,
and have looked through a microscope and they are flat, I could not even
tell that there was a via present just by looking at the board.
Regarding Microvias, it does require a different process, and they are
completely filled with conductive material, there is no air trapped
inside.
I will have the minutes from the meeting publish on IPC Route next week.

Inkra Networks
Patrick Jabbaz CID
Sr Board Layout Eng.
40971 Encyclopedia Circle