[SI-LIST] BER Failure due to Sj

  • From: vinod ah <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 09:46:28 +0530

Hi All,
I was trying to characterize the USB3 Rx section using loopback testing
where i feed a stressed eye on Rx (180mV eye height, Rj of 2.4ps rms) and
loop it back on Tx and measure BER for various Sj (Sinusoidal Jitter)
amplitude & frequency i.e. Jitter tolerance test.

What i see is, if i increase Sj frequency beyond the 10MHz (CDR in Rx is
having JTF of 3.5MHz), then i see lot of bit errors. Tried increasing the
eye height fed to Rx pins, still the errors are seen, thus concluding the
issue is with eye width, but not eye height.

I am using DFE equalisation to open up the eye in Rx. Need
suggestions/experiments to be done so as to further narrow down the issue.
I am not sure on what else to check for to debug this issue as the
Sj frequencies at which failure is seen is out of CDR tracking frequency,
thus eating up the eye width.

Regards
Vinod A H

List forum  is accessible at: