[SI-LIST] Re: BER 1e-12 Vs 1e-15 test times

  • From: "Ransom Stephens" <ransom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:03:56 -0800

Hey Naga,
For Rx testing, it's possible to test to *arbitrary* BER (1E-18, shit,
1E-40) in seconds using Crest Factor Emulation (CFE) described here:
http://ransomsnotes.com/index_htm_files/8-WP1_Ransom_Stephens.pdf
In general, using standard equipment the fastest approach is the bracketing
method, essentially what Steve suggested - though Steve included important
caveats that I didn't cover in this paper:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-2933EN.pdf
The former is being patented by Tek and me (so I can get you the rights) but
the latter was never patented and will work with any standard BERT
equipment. If you read both papers you'll be on pretty firm ground with how
to make the measurements fastest, whether you use those techniques or invent
your own.
Have fun!
Ransom

List technical documents are available at: