[SI-LIST] Re: Article discussion on bad packages - core

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Istvan NOVAK'" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 07:28:28 -0800

Jeremy, I think the notion was to use blind vias with the caps on the same
side as the IC:

CAPS around  IC perimeter
L1 top Cu w/blind vias to layers 2/3
thin dielectric
L2 GND
very thin dielectric
L3 VCC

Further, I think the idea was via in pad for those blind vias.  The devil
with a reverse geometry cap is that while via in pad helps with the X-Y
plane partial inductance, it aggravates reinforcing mutual coupling,
undermining the value of multiple vias per pad.  For the 0306 I think the
best we could do is to push the same pad vias out towards the ends which
would give us 40mils center to center within one pad, and 30mils between
the opposing polarity vias.  I have some experimental data on a similar
configuration used to evaluate via fields and it is not very
encouraging.  If there is enough interest, we could build-up a model in CST
uWave studio that includes the 0306 capacitor.   Off-hand, I would be quite
surprised if with a 10 mil drill, and 3 mil dielectric from L1 to L2, and
even 0.63 mil C-Ply from L2 to L3 that an 0306 capacitor could get break
even at 400pH or below capacitor ESL included, versus two 0603 with one via
per pad each at 800pH as Larry described. ( I presumed Larry was talking
one via per pad. )

The way to really find out is to build up a 3D model and/or a
prototype.  Perhaps, Istvan has.  It might be something he could show as
part of his TecForum at DesignCon.

One could always try to take this a step further with your repeated
suggestion of ground flood on the surface layer, and Vcc on L2.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: