[SI-LIST] Re: Arguments against Thevenin bias/termination for ddr2 Vtt

  • From: agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 22:41:28 -0700

* Bill understood my apology as sincere.  I suggest you read it until you
understand it.
* Perhaps you fell over a dubious assumption or two.
* There's something extremely wacky in your apparent perception.  I suggest
withholding such things from the list -- unless you enjoy embarassment.

On 5/30/07, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> agathon it would be a lot more palatable to help you if you would stop
> behaving like a jerk.  Bill's positions are well founded in science.
> Your original postulates and those you offer today are filled with
> assumptions a number of which are very dubious.
>
> Steve.
>
> agathon wrote:
> > My apologies to Bill for doubting him and being blinded by science...
> :-)
> > I stand justly rebuked.
> > Many thanks to all......
> >
> > Steve, sorry to query for detail... maybe there's a quick ref. you can
> point
> > to?
> >
> > in #2 answer do you mean extend a very wide finger or shape instead of
> using
> > the solid plane?
> > I realize this wouldn't necessarily be a hard rule.
> > #3:  Thev. term. reduces cavity Q?  Can you suggest a Spice setup to
> show
> > this?  I don't see how there's any added R series to the cavity.  Or,
> it's
> > just due to the added Thev. vias, or the loop with 100ohms - instead of
> Vtt
> > regulator with the lower Z whole signal path?
> >
> > #4: "In the Thevenin case you get much less signal crosstalk for
> equivalent
> > bypass impedance as with the end termination into Vtt."
> > Due to less delta-i from Vddq I suppose, due to divider?   We aren't
> using
> > series R.  I assume you're implying that each termination requires its
> own
> > decap for best results (?).
> >
> > #5: -----
> >
> > #6: But here you mention "shared bypass" as a potential helper.  I see,
> just
> > happens to reduce delta-i through nearest cap (?).   Ie: data dependent.
> >

> > Overall, I seem to get from the replies:   Use separate large shape from
> vdd
> > for vddq to Thevenin terminations.  The shape branches off from a point
> > close to vdd at ctlr, since it is tx for Addr/Cmd signals.  Ie:  As
> jedec
> > specifies,  Vtt & Vref must track Vddq of tx.   Larger decap at branch.
> > Added decap per termination, right at divider.
> >

> > On 5/29/07, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Agathon I mostly agree with Bill here.  Taken point by point:
> >>
> >> 2. The PDN (Vddq) is used dc-coupled, so its behavior statistically
> >> influences Vtt. That is, Vtt is more subject to Vddq and other noise.
> >>
> >> Not necessarily so.  It depends on how you do the board layout and
> bypass
> >> for Vddq in the Vtt area.  In the ideal case Vddq from the transmitter
> >> forwards to the Vtt divider island.  In that case Vtt tracking against
> the
> >> actual switching signals which is what we want can be better than a
> fixed
> >> Vtt, ie lower jitter.

> [...]

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net