[SI-LIST] Re: Antennas (contd)

  • From: "Frank Dunlap" <fdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gs_si91@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:57:34 -0700

Hi Gaurav,

I didn't see a response to your question, so here's one:

The antennas that I think that you are talking about are sections of
interconnect that ultimately connect to the gate of a MOS transistor.
During manufacturing, the patterning of these interconnect sections by
plasma etching, leads to a potential build-up of charge.  If too much
charge builds up, the fragile gate oxide of the MOS transistor may
become damaged.  The effect is also referred to as "plasma induced gate
oxide damage."

Manufacturing design rules limit the amount of interconnect that can be
directly attached to a gate, as the total area and perimeter of the
interconnect are factors in how much charge builds up.  It's common
practice to connect small diodes to sections of interconnect to provide
a discharge path for charge generated during the manufacturing process.
With such diodes, larger sections of interconnect can be attached to a
MOS transistor's gate.

Regards,

Frank=20