[SI-LIST] Re: Ansoft License issue

  • From: <Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:29:58 -0500

I would like to get the opinion of the SI community on something that
bothers me.  My Ansoft sales rep says no one else is complaining.

Background:
We have had a copy of HFSS, Q3D, and SI2d for many years.
HFSS is an excellent tool for full 3d solutions in the (high) frequency
domain (no field solution at DC) and produces S-parameter data.
Q3d is a full 3d tool that, historically, produces an RLGC model, is
good for electrically short (single phase) structures and can solve for
a DC field solution.
SI2d is a good solver for 2d cross-sections and can show you impedance,
inductance, etc VS frequency.

For what it's worth, My technical support is excellent; both of the
local tech support engineers have worked both sides of the fence and are
very good.

The issue:
For as long as I can remember, we have been able to use each of the 3
different tools independently.  IE, one person using HFSS to find a via
resonance, another engineer doing a VR solution in Q3d, and another
building interconnect models in SI2D.  Up to 3 people working at the
same time.  When we moved to Q3d version 8, SI2d was changed to Q2d to
use a common user interface.

The problem:
We can no longer use the 2d and 3d solvers at the same time.  The net
effect to me is that we lost a license for the questionable improvement
of a common interface.  I was happy with the old interface and am not
happy that our team can no longer use two very different solvers at the
same time.  My question to Ansoft sales was:  Should I expect to see
another license reduction if they move HFSS to that common interface?

If you think I am being un-reasonable, please email me on why.  If you
think Ansoft is not doing the right thing, please complain to Ansoft and
copy me.

Thanks,
Aubrey Sparkman
Enterprise Engineering Signal Integrity Team Dell, Inc.
Aubrey_Sparkman@xxxxxxxx
(512) 723-3592
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: