[SI-LIST] Re: Analog & Digital Grounds

  • From: "Traa, Boris" <boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lee Ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Adam <chris.adamsipi@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:44:29 +0200

For what reasons should you separate analog and digital ground? If an IC is
provided with  separate grounds on package and die and you measure the
impedance between these ground at the balls/pins you may come up with a low
impedance for the concerned frequencies due to the various capacitive coupling
paths. In my opinion it is better to have a defined short circuit than a
mysterious impedance between ground domains.

Kind regards
Boris Traa
System design engineer EMC

It's the currents that make circuits work or fail.

Philips Applied Technologies/EMC center
Room 2.020
High Tech Campus 26
5656AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands