[SI-LIST] Re: Amplitude loss ?

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'rajneesh shukla'" <rajneeshs123@xxxxxxxxx>, "'steve weir'" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 08:56:30 -0800

Rajneesh,

Steve and Wolfgang explained the high-frequency behavior of the transmission
line very well.
Though, I would like to add that the outcome  you expect is actually correct
at DC or at very low frequencies in case if dielectric does not have
conductive losses (only polarization).
Transmission line can be considered as a lumped structure at DC and all
voltages and currents can be simply computed with Ohm's low. Both TDR
response and S-parameters should converge to the values defined by Ohm's low
at low frequencies when t-line is electrically small. Electrically long
transmission line behavior (line segment length is a fraction of wavelength)
is governed by Telegrapher's equations in addition to Ohm's low at the
boundaries (or Maxwell's equations if t-line cross-section is not
electrically small). In that case, a pulse response may reach the voltage
defined by the DC solution or may not. It depends on pulse length, spectral
content, line length and so on - only simulation can provide the answer.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882
Cell +1-206-409-2368
Skype: shlepnev

www.simberian.com