[SI-LIST] Re: Altera's PDN Design tool - what changed?

  • From: Michael Greim <mgreim001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peterson, James F (EHCOE)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:29:25 -0400

I have the newest version of all tools and have not
seen the problems you are encountering.  I also
know a thing or two about power distribution and
decoupling.  What kind of "fails miserably" are you
seeing.  I do recommend that you take that data
and send it back to Altera with a "one of these things
is not like the other" wrapper.
On the bad news front you may have been failing
miserably to begin with.  Letting you now know may
be one of the new tool improvements.

Take a look at some of the utilities that Istvan has
on his web site and see if anything pops out, recheck
the data with paper and pen, or, give us more detail
so we may be able to offer thoughts on same.  Does
decoupling solution meet your PDS impedance needs.
If you zero out inductance and you still fail miserably,
then odds are that you have a more significant
contributor to the issue.

Don't start to panic until you have a real reason to....;-)

Best Regards,

Michael C. Greim

And all this science they don't understand
Is just my job six days a week.....

We will either find a way or make one   -Hannibal

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity   -Al Einstein

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Peterson, James F (EHCOE) <
james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We use the Altera PDN design tool to evaluate the decoupling of their
> Stratix lll FPGAs. We just upgraded our older version of this tool to
> the newest version (Version 2.0), and our decoupling solution that had
> margin now fails miserably...
>
> Any other Altera users seeing this problem? We can't figure out what
> caused it. It looks like more inductance, but we've zeroed out most of
> that and we still fail. (We don't have visibility into the actual
> equations.)
>
> Anyway, if an Altera expert is listening, your input (and all
> SI-Listers) is welcome to help us understand this. (we've also initiated
> an inquiry within Altera.)
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Peterson
> Honeywell