[SI-LIST] Re: Algorithm to interpolate ramp data in IBIS

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:50:32 -0800

Nitin,

You are absolutely correct, 100 evenly spaced points for
the waveform tables (and also the IV tables) are not
accurate enough in most cases.

However, the IBIS specification does not describe how the
point reduction should be done, nor does it specify how the
tools should interpolate when reading such tables.  On the
other hand, the specification does say that the beginning
and end of the waveform tables assume that the buffer is
in steady state (i.e. they start and end with a 0 slope).
It also says that the x-axis points do not have to be
evenly spaced.

As far as I know, most tools use only linear interpolation,
but you need to ask your tool vendor how they do it on your
own about these details.

The tool I am using to make IBIS models does the following:

1)  Extract the two end points, connect them with a virtual
    straight line and check where this "new curve" has the
    largest vertical distance from the original curve.
2)  Pick up a new point at this largest distance, and connect
    the three points of this "new curve" with two straight
    lines, and check for the largest vertical distance again.
3)  Loop this way until 100 points are picked up.

I hope this helps.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D