[SI-LIST] Re: Advise on PCB dessign software

  • From: Ed Miguel <emiguel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:19:42 -0600

Joan,

I am afraid I cannot answer all your questions about Tango.  I found it
very limited, bit the bullet, and switched to ORCAD many years ago for the
same reasons you cite.

One thing now however, that fits into a student's or anyone's budget
nicely, is that Cadence is offering a light version of ORCAD for free.  The
transition may be painful but you'll gain schematic capture, autorouting,
Gerbers and a lot of other features common in more pricey PCB software.

Here is the link:

http://www.cadencepcb.com/products/downloads/orcaddemo/frmorcaddemocd.asp

Good luck,

Ed

At 03:47 PM 11/19/02 +0100, joan vicent castell wrote:
>Hi group,
>

>I know there is a number of PCB design software in the market, but I've
>been always using the old Tango (it's a MS-DOS program) software to do my
>easy boards. I thing is very easy and fast as it is designed to work every
>command with three keyboard touches.  And I like it as well because I have
>a lot of components personally designed in my libraries and designs I'd
>like to keep.
>

>But now I'm having problems: with my new computer and operating system
>(W2000) the Tango program doesn't work and I need to generate Gerber files
>that Tango doesn't do.
>

>So I thing is no remedy to upgrade.
>

>Does anybody know of a PCB design program that is compatible with my old
>Tango libraries and .pcb designs? Does Tango still exist in a Windows
>version?  Any recommendations of a PCB design program that has the same
>working philosophy as Tango?
>

>I've been trying Protel-99. It doesn't accept my libraries nor my old
>designs. And I don't like it (this is personal opinion, of course).
>

>Thanks.
>

>Joan V. Castell
>
>UPC University
>
>Catalonia