[SI-LIST] Re: Address bus simulation

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 06:13:45 -0500

Bob,

At a high level, my personal (not always so humble)
opinion, there are two primary classes of signals: clocks
and other.

For clocks, it makes sense to stimulate simulations
with simple 1-0-1-0-... clock patterns.  I generally
stimulate at two frequencies:

        * The fundadmental freq that the clock is likely
        to run at, which will give me a good idea what
        the signal is likely to look like; and

        * A lower frequency which is slow enough that
        the signal has plenty of time to settle down
        prior to the next transition.  Most of the time,
        this is 1/2 to 1/10th the fundamental.  By
        using this slower frequency, I can see if there
        are any 'gotchas' in the signal path that
        might crawl up and bite.

For nearly all other classes of signals (data, address,
etc.), I like to use random data patterns and
display them in eye diagrams.  It's amazing what you
will find by displaying signals in eye diagrams that
you will otherwise miss.  The SI-List has covered
eye diagrams several times, and I suggest looking
through the archives on how to do it (if you
don't know already), as it is a valuable tool.

Similar to the clock path simulations, it's useful
as well to simulate at two data rates.

Based on the above, I recommend "b" for your
your address bus simulations.

Pat

> Hi! I don't know if the above topic was discussed
> before because I could not find it in the archives on
> a quick scan.
> Say, we need to do find out whether we can run the
> address bus to two loads in Star configuration with
> clock at 200Mhz. Now, first the address bus will be
> not running at this frequency clock frequency.
> So, in terms of simulation what should be the approach
> a) Run simulation with pulse source at 200Mhz--->Not
> true picture
> b)Run simulation with random bit pattern?
> I want to know what would be appropriate in simulating
> this?
> Thanks in advance
> Bob

List archives are viewable at: