[SI-LIST] About Common-mode insertion loss of differential mode S-parameter

  • From: Lucian Zhang <zhanglub@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:30:14 +0800

Hi, All,

I am puzzled about the effect of S21 (Common to Common)
of differential mode S-parameter.

Assume I have a pair of differential transmission lines,
its 3dB BW of S21(Diff to Diff) is 10GHz, and that of
S21(Common to Common) is 7GHz. Now the question is what
the real 3dB BW the channel is when it transmit differential
signal.

In my think, when the Common-mode insertion loss is bigger,
it does not mean that the S21(Common to Diff) or S21(Diff to
Common) will be bigger. So, the common-mode noise should not
MUST affect the differential signal.

Thank you.

Lucian

List technical documents are available at: