[SI-LIST] AW: about s parameter

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:14:38 +0000

Hello Wangshua,

I hope this is your name... you didn't state it anywhere.

First of all, please help us in helping you by simply asking questions that
make sense just the first time reading.

Some answers to what I think the question might have been:
1: Insertion loss for passive transmission systems is always below 0 and shows
an overall downward slope with rising frequency. Return loss of Passive
transmission systems rises with frequency beginning at very low magnitudes and
never reaching 0. If you see something else, then the simulation, measurement
or DUT has an error.

2: If you find passivity and causality errors, you can first check if you can
live with them. If not, there are several mechanisms to remove these effects,
but be aware that these techniques CHANGE your data (might be a small change,
but still). Most High performing Simulators automatically enforce pasivity and
causality.

3: If you need to transform the S-parameters into time domain (impulse
response, TDR, TDT, statistical channel simulation...) Then you need the DC
-Point. If you don't create one yourself, then the software will do it without
letting you know how (engineers should know what happens and why, so I
recommend to insert the DC point by hand).

BR
Gert

This mail may contain much more information than initially requested. Please
feel free to ignore as much as you can afford.

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Edgar-Peter Duening, Torsten Ratzmann, Dr. Alexander Rost