[SI-LIST] AW: TRL Calibration Question

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 08:34:35 +0000

Hi Johnny,

Answer 1) What will create more reflections: LOAD or OPEN? You should use the
one with mor reflections if the reflect is measured
Answer 2) You need different lengths of thru to cover a greater frequency
range. The measurement per line is only valid within a 180° phase change (due
to the fact that phase is directly related to length, but the phase keeps
repeating itself while the length increases endlessly. That's why you have to
be inside the 180° range to have meaningful results)
Answer 3) You should check the Source match using an Airline. Also a sanity
check with measuring a straigt line and check if the phase has any
discontinuities. Attach a Load and check the reflection noise floor level.

B.T.W.: no regular SMA will give you 30GHz Bandwidth. Most SMAs end at 18GHz,
there are some available up to 26GHz. For everything above that there are other
coax connectors available (e.g. K, 2.92mm)

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH, Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339 Espelkamp;
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB 8808;
Vertretungsberechtige Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Edgar-Peter Düning,
Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Ratzmann, Dipl.-Wirtschaftsing. Ralf Martin Klein