[SI-LIST] AW: Re:AW: A common mode current on differential PCB pair cause EMI?

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tesla <emcesd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:17:24 +0000

Hi Tesla,
I don’t think common modes can be assigned evil or not. Fact is, that common
modes can radiate, thus they can be dangerous (they don’t have to). And another
fact is, that you will always have common modes in your system (not necessarily
on every differential trace, but there are many other signals).
As long as there are no resonances of any kind, radiation will be very limited,
and this is the tricky part as there is no ideal GND plane, there are via
openings, there are multiple different currents in your system, there are
discontinuities along the traces, there are slots in GND and Power planes, and
Planes do form a large capacitor, and many other things can influence the
common modes.
EMI problems have been there in the past, and will be in the future, and most
of these problems are caused by the PCB Layout, and not by the signals itself.
With proper Design, the EMI can be reduced to an acceptable minimum.

BR
Gert