[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Re: Uncoupled differential signalling

  • From: "Lee " <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 08:40:56 -0800

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with routing members of a diff pair on
different layers as long at the noise on the planes over which they route is
similar.

Differences in via barrel length are in the noise as far as length
mismatches are concerned.  Differences in flight time due to weave
variations is much more important and that can happen even when they are
routed in the same layer and are tightly coupled.  This issue should take up
more of our time than it does.

At very high data rates, whether the signal travels the length of a via or
just part of it can have a very big impact on signal quality, even when both
members are routed on the same layer.