[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Re: Reference layers for high speed diff pairs

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:32:28 -0500

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Scott,
>
> To clarify, by "ground is significantly quieter than any other power
> reference rails.", I believe you are referring to the following
> measurements:
>
> (i) At location x1,y1 near a signal via, measure noise between two ground
> planes.
> (ii) At location x2,y2 near a signal via, measure noise between a power
> and a ground plane.
>
> Noise (ii) likely to be > noise (i). The signal going through the via
> transitioning between those two reference planes will be affected by the
> noise that was measured.

Yes!  And by reciprocity the signal going through the via will inject noise
into the planes.  The conclusion is a generality and assumes that in the
local vicinity that two ground planes are better stitched that a power
plane (which may not be stitched at all.)

> Going back to Jeff's cases:
>
> "(a) Transmitters and receivers are solely VDDQ referenced and the PCB
> is solely VDDQ referenced
> (b) Transmitters and receivers are solely VDDQ referenced but the PCB is
> solely "GND" referenced"
>
> (a) has no transition but (b) does. So the noise measured in (ii) does not
> affect the signal in case (a).
>
> Hence my assertion that (a) is better than (b). Do you agree?

In both cases  there will be a noise differential between VDDQ and GND at
the Tx and Rx.  For the second case there will be additional noise
differentials as the signal embarks and disembarks to GND from/to VDDQ at
the PCB/PKG boundary.  But, the package to PCB transition needs to support
the transition.

If we're going from VDDQ to VDDQ, then there need to be VDDQ balls and vias
that connect the package to the board, in order to support a smooth
transition.  If we're going from VDDQ to GND there need to be VDDQ and GND
balls and vias to support a smooth transition.  Crosstalk at the transition
will depend on the placement of the Balls/vias w.r.t. the location of the
signal balls/vias. Actual performance under simultaneous switching
conditions will depend on where the VDDQ and GND balls are located. It is
possible to engineer a clean VDDQ referenced signalling interface, but it
requires additional VDDQ balls to meet the crosstalk performance of a GND
referenced signalling interface.

So, my answer is ... wait for it ... it depends ... on where the VDDQ balls
are.  If the package has VDDQ balls in the right places, the fully VDDQ
referenced interconnect will have lower noise.  If not, then we're playing
Wack-A-Mole.

If I had to compromise, I'd go for one GND plane and one VDDQ plane with
balanced stripline.  That way the propensity of GND balls and vias will
support all the necessary mode conversions.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: