[SI-LIST] AW: Re: 答复: Re: ??: Re: Why is my PCB loss so high?

  • From: Alexander Ippich <alexander.ippich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buenoshun@xxxxxxxxx, leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx, weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:56:44 +0200

Istvan,

after having worked for a PCB manufacturer for 20 years, let me tell you a
secret: there are better PCB shops and worse PCB shops.

All the higher end PCB shops by now understand, that changing the material
or the glass style or the copper roughness will have a significant impact,
even if they find the impedance to be correct at the back end of the line
(impedance testing still being the only "SI-test" at the final PCB for most
boards).
Quite a few of the higher end PCB shops have invested in insertion loss
testing like SET2DIL or SPP or VNA.

It is always a good thing, to talk with your PCB shop before they launch
your boards into production. By doing this, you can pick a stackup with
materials, that they actually have on stock and that suit your needs (nobody
can stock every flavor of material available). They can then also
understand, what is important for you (is it mainly cost, as very often, so
you pick the cheapest solution, or do you have requirements for a particular
glass style, copper roughness,...).

So bottom line, if your purchasing department is selecting the cheapest
vendor, I would double check each time. But if you are using the same
vendor(s) over a longer period of time, it is possible to build up a
relationship, were understanding between both parties can easily prevent
what you described.

Best regards,
alex

Alexander Ippich