[SI-LIST] AW: Re: Impedance Controlled Board Production Vs Normal Board Production

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rick Collins" <gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx>, "Muhammad Nazir" <muhammad.nazir@xxxxxxxxx>, "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:49:08 +0000

Hi Jayasuryan,

for PCB vendors "Impedance controlled" is a matter of knowledge and processing
tolerances.
For a regular PCB, the vendor will only guarantee tracewidth and copperweight
in a certain tolerance band. These factors are not anough to ensure proper
impedance.

For Impedance Controlled PCBs the vendor needs to understand his processes and
the materials he uses. He needs to adjust the tracewidth and/or stack to
guarantee proper impedance. Geometrically, the commonly used 10% Impedance
tolerance is exactly the 10% etching tolerance, thus impedance control doesn't
necessarily need more accurate etching, but the correct tracewidth isn't always
supplied by the PCB designer, thus the PCB vendor has to check and adjust.

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Edgar-Peter Duening, Torsten Ratzmann, Dr. Alexander Rost