[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Re: Fiber Weave Effect

  • From: "Alexander Ippich" <Alexander.Ippich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:35:05 +0100

Gert,

what do you consider to be "regular glass" in your statement "E-glass is not
doing this job halve as good, even though it is already significantly improving
the weave effect compared to regular Glass"?
The designation E-glass has nothing to do with the homogenity of the glass
reinforced dielectric. It is simply a shortcut for the composition of the glass
fibre itself (IPC4412, 3.1.6). Typical E-glass having a Dk of around 6 is of
course resulting in a significant Dk delta to most resin systems that are in
use in high speed circuits and therefore in the fibre weave effect.

Beside E-glass, there are several options like NE glass (used by Nelco under
the designation SI glass) or L-glass that have a significantly lower Dk than
E-glass. But I believe that they are not used in the industry very much.
Nelco's SI glass reinforced laminates are basically the only ones, that are
used on a regular basis, but in pretty low volumes compared to E-glass.

Best regards,
alex