[SI-LIST] AW: Re: ENIG vs Electroplated Gold over Electroplated Nickel

  • From: "Ippich, Alexander" <alexander.ippich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Jeremy.Scuteri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 08:28:06 +0100

Jeremy,

regarding the question if Gold over electroplated Nickel would be better than
ENIG:

Typically, electroplated NiAu is applied as a full body finish, prior to
soldermask application. This is because for that finish, the NiAu layer is
typically used as an etching resist to structure the outerlayers. That said,
you end up with having Nickel over the whole length of your outerlayer traces,
which is not desirable from a loss perspective.

ENIG (electroless-Ni over immersion-Au) can be applied as a full body finish,
or (and that's the more common way) as a selective finish, because it is
applied after soldermask. In the second case, you do not end up with Ni on your
traces, as long as they are covered by soldermask. This is described as SMOBC
(soldermask over bare copper) processing.

So if you are concerned with higher frequency loss and you want to use a
Nickel-Gold finish, the use of electroless/immersion finishes is far better
than the use of the electroplated version.

Best regards,
alex