[SI-LIST] AW: Re: DDR termination

  • From: <hermann.ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <electronbob2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:33:31 +0200

Hello,

here my cent ...=20

The end termination of the DDR1 DQ bus (might be the same or different =
value for CA) is varing quite a bit for different mobos. I have seen in =
the beginning of DDR1 very low resistances (27 Ohm), while the value =
increased over time up to 50 and 60 Ohm.
The multi drop memory bus is not very clean, and therefore the =
termination value is just a trade off between timing and voltage margin.
In the beginning mobo manufacteres tried to implement many slots (up to =
4), what is resulting in a lot of disturbance on the bus. To reduce this =
effect a stronger termination value was usefull.=20
Now when going to higher speeds the number of slots is reduced. And here =
it seems to be heplfull to have a higher termination resistance to =
increase voltage margin. But even if a higher value would result in =
better margins, as long a system is working it will stay with any value =
which was working so far.

So I think the values used for termination are a mix between optimizing =
a multi drop topology (timing vs. voltage margin) vs. and some =
historicly (2 years   ;-)  ) used termination values.

Regarding the serial termination (R before the fist slot on the mobo) I =
would expect this is included in most DDR1 Mobo, but it should be =
removed in DDR2 Motherbards with ODT.
For DDR2 there should be only a parallel termination on the CA bus at =
the end of the bus. DQ lines should have no end termination of the bus =
(parallel termination), as they should use the OnDieTermination!

Hermann

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----