[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Just a simple question

  • From: "Antonis Orphanou" <orphanou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "afu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <afu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:08:56 +0000

Hello Herbert,
Now that I understand your posting question (well, I hope I do) I could not
resist to add a couple of more comments.
In addition to the skin effect there is also the "internal" and "external"
inductance" that can influence the current through the piece of metal you
called a via. Proximity effects can indeed affect the charge distribution and
the effect of the skin effect and metal inductance. However, as inferred by the
definition, this is a proximity effect and vias far away can't have an
influence on it. I think it is safe to say that return/signal vias a few mil
away can not affect the skin effect of your via.

The way the current loop is formed now (with the via just being a part of
it).....well it is another story.....