[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Is the ground via helpful to reduce the EMI radiation?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:12:42 -0400

Wolfgang
With all due respect.  The Sun paper discusses vias w.r.t. cavity
excitation and crosstalk.  No where in the paper is EMI, emissions, or
radiation discussed.

Cavity mode excitation due to via penetration, and peaking of via
crosstalk due to quarter-wave stub resonances are well-known
phenomena.   These may contribute to emissions, if, and only if, there
is a suitable radiating element exposed to the universe.  In boards with
ground planes surrounding the cavities and vias, and no parasitic
coupling to other unshielded structures, such as cables and poorly
designed packages, radiation is minimal.  It is the other structures
that radiate the energy that is peaked by resonances.

regards,

Scott

-
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: