[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Ground vias around signal via

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:03:13 -0700

Lee, I absolutely agree that it is foolhardy to blindly follow rules of
thumb.  We are engineers and need to understand when a given rule or
guideline is appropriate to simply apply, when it is a guidepost to
evaluate a circumstance more closely, and when it is irrelevant.

Cavity penetrations are things that generate quantifiable noise and
cross talk.  In the course of this discussion several papers have been
linked that show real measurements of the effects of stitching vias:
good and sometimes bad that back up theory.  When measurements and
theory correlate, I am satisfied that we have the science under
control.  I'd say that we have lots of beef.  The issue at hand is how
to avoid mad cow disease.  Scott has offered some rules of thumb.  Like
any RoTs,  they are guidelines.

May I ask what engineering practices you follow to insure/verify that
cavity penetrations do not cause problems in your designs:

1) Accept whatever comes from the power distribution Vss to Vss vias (a
design rule!)
2) Add vias when a distance criteria from a cavity penetration has not
been satisfied?(another design rule!)
3) Add vias to meet a density criteria? (another design rule!)
3) Iterative design performing simulations in all cases? (very time
consuming)
4) Iterative simulations when RoTs have not been satisfied?
5) Something else?

Best Regards,

Steve

On 10/16/2014 10:16 AM, Lee wrote:
> This discussion seems to be terribly theoretical.  We all know that there
> are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of assemblies shipped every day
> with differential signals as high as 28 Gb/S on them that work just fine
> without the need to put in "ground vias" nearby.
>
> What comes to my mind when I read discussions such as this is that old
> Burger King commercial  where Clara Peller asks "where's the beef?"
>
> For all of the postulated problems mentioned in these discussions, "where's
> the proof?"
>
> We do too much speculating on this forum and not enough proving!
>
> My position on this whole thing as well as many others that appear on this
> discussion group is, if you are going to put forth a rule, be prepared to
> offer the proof that the rule is valid as well as where it is valid.  If you
> are not prepared to do this, it is a disservice to those who are asking for
> advice to make such a posting.

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2013 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: