[SI-LIST] Re: AW: Glass-Weave Skew / Fiber-Weave Effect

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 21:39:48 +0000

Hi Scott,
Can you share any of the studies you've performed to characterize the dozens of
materials?  I'm especially interested in clever techniques you might have used
to ensure you measured the maximum for each material, given the statistical
nature of the problem (whenever I think of performing such a study, I am put
off by "how do I ensure my data includes some representative 'worst case'?").
To all,
I believe there is extreme ambiguity in the terms used for spread glass, I
would be wary of any particular terminology (is "ultra" better than "hyper"?).
And, even if you do standardize the definition of "spread", the net effect is
going to vary significantly for the various glass styles (1080 will probably
always be more problematic than 2116, for instance).  I don't know of any
method of easily quantifying the electrical properties of any particular spread
glass.  There is work on-going for a visible light test, but as far as I know
those results have not yet been correlated to Vp differences.
BTW, this might be a nice opportunity for a clever person to come up with an
easy (cheap, HVM-compatible) method of shining a light through glass weaves and
quantifying the difference between the brightest and darkest areas - ideal
"spread glass" would have very little difference, corresponding to very little
difference in Vp across the weave.
And finally, I don't know of any silicon solutions, ours or otherwise, used
explicitly to solve the fiberweave issue.  Adaptive equalization may make it
less of an issue than it was previously, however.

Jeff Loyer