[SI-LIST] AW: Ferrite Bead Vs. Inductor

  • From: "Pommerenke, David" <davidjp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <yamma1106@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:33:02 -0600

Group:

There are three differences between ferrite beads and inductors:
  - phase angle at higher frequencies
  - saturation behavior
  - DC resistance

I think it is quite educational obtain the SPICE equivalent circuits of =
both (e.g. Coilcraft has SPICE circuits for inductors), the ferrite bead =
and the inductor and to plot the real and the imaginary part.

  Complex none linear ferrite models:  http://www.steward.com/spice.asp=20
  Simple linear ferrite models:        =
http://www.tdk.co.jp/etvcl/equivalent/bead.pdf

(see also a former discussion on this topic: =
//www.freelists.org/archives/si-list/12-2003/msg00090.html)

If you take a ferrite bead, e.g., 470 Ohm (at 100MHz) you will see about =
1-3uH inductance at low frequency. If you compare it to a 2uH inductor =
you will see that both are pretty similar (in real and imaginary part) =
at frequencies maybe up to 10MHz. Above the ferrites starts to turn its =
phase angle to zero degrees (the real part is large) and the inductor =
stays at 90 deg.  The inductor will go through some sharp resonance but =
the ferrite will stay pretty lossy maybe up to 1GHz or higher.

What is the consequence? If your power distribution system has =
resonances in the low frequency range (let me say < 10MHz) both will act =
the same. If you system has resonances at higher frequencies the ferrite =
bead is cleary the better choice. From a filtering point of view? Both =
will filter quite well. Using the parasitics of the decoupling =
capacitors in SPICE you will see that decoupling of 20-40 dB can be =
achieved using a LC or Ferrite-C combination over a broad frequency =
range.

If you intend to use your ferrite bead at current levels that drive it =
into saturation I suggest to model the effect in spice. The models from =
Steward should predict this quite well.

Regards,

   David Pommerenke
   University Missouri Rolla - EMC laboratory

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----