[SI-LIST] AW: Difference between Protel, Mentor Graphics and Cadence

  • From: "Sol Tatlow" <Sol.Tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ttecksoo@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:20:32 +0200

Hi Gary,

you don't specify whether you mean Expedition/Board Station/PADS
(Mentor Graphics) or Allegro/OrCad Layout (Cadence), so I'll give you
an idea on all 6 packages (makes for a long read - sorry!):

Protel: DXP is actually a very flexible tool, which has interfaces to
a variety of schematic tools from other vendors (which cannot really
be said for any of the other tools). It has some relatively basic sim.
funtions built in, plus schematic entry, a good Gerber tool (Camtastic!
which can generate layout databases from pure Gerbers!), and the layout
module is certainly good enough for MANY types of boards - DEFINITELY
not just a toy! - with lots of features in one tool.=20

Expedition: Long learning curve, powerful built-in auto-router (but
don't let the Mentor salesman convince you this REALLY works for all
boards ;-)!) and other automated features, design flow where chip
design is involved (out of my area) and an interface to Hyperlynx(?).

Board Station: MEGA long learning curve, definitely NOT recommendable-
bit of an old relic, really, that I expect will get killed off sooner
or later, in preference to Expedition. However, still finds support in
larger companies that have used and will continue to use it for ages.

Pads: haven't used this for some time (5 years), but was (and probably
still is) a good general purpose layout tool - using good layouting
techniques, I produced MANY good, complicated designs even with the
old DOS version.

Allegro: Long learning curve, based on age old software that brought
many unfriendly features (or lack of) with it (proper 'undo' and
copper floods are NEW features!!). Direct interface with Specctra-
Quest for simulation, however, and is a powerful tool aimed at larger
companies interested in complete design flows.

OrCad Layout: no personal experience, but have witnessed my colleague
using it - bottom of this list ... even if you are using Capture as
a schematic entry system ... but then it's cheap, right?

All in all, what are your needs? I choose between DXP, Expedition or
Allegro depending upon customer requests, extent of simulation,
schematic front-end, library base, etc. (Board Station or OrCad Layout=20
are ONLY used on customer request, PADS we do not currently use):

1. Layout buro: DXP (and PADS probably falls into this same category)
is fast, efficient and effective, sufficient for the vast majority of
designs, and I think the ideal choice for a (small) layout buro where
costs and learning curves play a big part, and flexibility (format of
schematic input of your customers) is vital, or perhaps for designers/
developers who will do PCB layout part-time;

2. Large companies: Expedition and Allegro both come into question for
larger companies (or buros dealing with larger companies, where higher
license costs can be recouped through higher layout prices), where a
complete design flow is vital, simulation is indispensable, and speed/
efficiency is not overly regarded as a primary requisite ;-).
Choice between one or the other big package probably largely depends
mostly upon simulation tools/design flow if these are already present.
Otherwise try them both & pick your favourite (there are hundreds of
+/- for both tools - common points are: high costs, powerful layout
tools for any layout you want to do, and long learning curves).

My last word on the subject: I think the experience of the PCB
designer (layouter) with layouting and all of the surrounding fields
(like PCB manufacture, assembly technology, etc.) plays a WAY bigger
role in the end result than whether you use one or the other of these
2 expensive tools.
____________________________________
Sol Tatlow, M.Eng. (Oxon)
ProDesign Electronic & CAD Layout GmbH