[SI-LIST] AW: Copper plating

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:51:20 +0000

The main tolerance for Top to Bottom PCB Thickness is not the Copper thickness
variation. The final Copper thickness varies a bit by design, stack-up and via
barrel plating requirements. Good manufacturers can manage up to +/-5µm Copper
thickness variation, +/-10% are usually met by every Manufacturer.

This is very little compared to the laminate thickness tolerances. There are
three thickness tolerance classes defined in the IPC, and there also 10% is the
average. The tightest tolerance is in the 5-7% range (depending on the final
thickness of the laminate. This is then the overall thickness measured
including Copper foil on top and bottom, thus for impedance calculations the
nominal core thickness given by the manufacturer must not be used as the
dielectric thickness in your impedance calculator.
So for a 2-Layer PCB there is the 10% Laminate thickness (and 10% tolerance),
the plating thickness (and 5% tolerance), the Solderresist thickness (approx.
25µm) and tolerance (+/-10µm) that results in the final Thickness and tolerance
of your PCB.
For Multilayer Boards an overall thickness tolerance of 10% can be achieved by
most PCB Manufacturers when they use Class L/M Laminate and Prepregs (that’s
the most accurate IPC thickness Class).

Hope this helps.

BR
Gert

Besuchen Sie uns auf der SPS/IPC/DRIVES 2015 vom 24. bis 26. November 2015 in
Halle 10, Stand 140.
Entdecken Sie unsere Ideen und Lösungen zu Integrated Industry - „HAII4YOU –
HARTING Integrated Industry 4 You“. http://www.HARTING.de/SPS

Absender ist HARTING KGaA; Marienwerderstraße 3, D-32339 Espelkamp;
Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRB 8809; Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Dipl.-Kfm. Jörg Selchow; persönlich haftende Gesellschafter:
Dipl.-Kfm. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Dietmar Harting, Philip F.W. Harting, Maresa
Harting-Hertz; HARTING WiMa AG (Luxemburg) & Co. KG, HARTING Beteiligungs GmbH
& Co. KG; Generalbevollmächtigte Gesellschafterin: Dipl.-Hdl. Margrit Harting