[SI-LIST] AW: About layer stack up

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chundi srikanth" <chundis@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:54:06 +0100

Hi Srikanth,

the split power planes 6 and 7 are critical for High speed signals on layer 5
and 8. It can work if you pay attention to the return current of all the
signals, but Murphey will be fighting against you.
I also recommend to use the bottom most layers (8 and 10) for the high speed
signals (via stubs).

routing diff pairs on the outer layers is possible, but has some drawbacks you
should consider:
- thru plating of the vias leaves an uneven copper weight, thus the trace
thickness varies much more than on inner layers. This affects the etching
tolerances and (depending on how tight you couple the traces) impedance.
- on outer layers you have a higher risk for radiation and externally induced
signal disturbance (many reasons, the most important is the missing GND shield).

just my two cent

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Torsten Ratzmann