[SI-LIST] Re: AW: AW: AW: Stripline reference

  • From: Robert Haller <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx, Stephen.Greenhalgh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 13:03:09 -0400

I too have seen the same problem you described when a designer accidently
referenced a high speed signal to 12V . Havoc ensued, and when we measured
the signal to ground could see the 12V power noise being induced onto the
high speed signal. I did debug another case where a differential clock was
referenced to a 3.3V plane that was not closely coupled to ground, and
there were no decoupling caps in the area of the signal destination. The
two interesting things I measured was the differential signal looked fine,
but measureing the clock single ended referenced to ground show the 3.3V
noise coupled onto the signal. The second part of this was the coupling
was spatial. i.e. near the driver (where there was adequate decoupling)
the single ended signal looked good, but at the end of the line near the
received the coupling was significant enough (again measuring single
ended) to cause errors.
Bob