[SI-LIST] ADDITIONAL PCI CLOCKS

  • From: Chandan <chandan_career@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI FORUM <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 04:09:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

My clock synthesizer provides 6 PCI (33MHz) clocks,
but I am in need of 8.
Apart from using a different clock synthesizer, does
anyone out there have other solutions to my
problem?

I thought of using one of the PCI outputs of the
synthesizer to drive two PCI devices as follows:
The output will be given to a resistor (value equals
half the line's characteristic impedance minus the
driver's source impedance). The other end of this
resistor will then be split into two traces that are
routed to the individual PCI devices.
Note that all traces will have the same value of
characteristic impedance (60 ohms). The clock
driver can source 22mA and sink 25mA.
Articles on transmission lines speak of this method.
Has anyone tried this on a PCI bus? Is there
something I ought to care of?

Thanks,
Chandan