[SI-LIST] Re: ADC Gnd Noise

  • From: "Peterson, James F \(EHCOE\)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:30:51 -0500

Hey, interesting problem. An ADC can really shine a light on noise
problems. In your case you could almost say the level of noise you're
having to deal with is what is showing up in the toggling of your 8
lower bits....
so 256 x 0.3mv=3D75mv, and not the 300mv you measure with your scope.=20

If you haven't already, you might try injecting at the sensor input a
clean, pure, signal at several known voltage levels (known more
precisely than your lsb bit weight of 0.3mv). Compare the input voltages
to the digitized values and see if this 75mv noise stays the same at
different levels of input. This doesn't fix the problem, just gets you
more data that might provide leads.

Best regards,
Jim Peterson
Honeywell