[SI-LIST] Re: AC coupling of SATA and SAS I/O

  • From: Alief <saifj_m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "T.K. Jeon" <tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:41:23 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for your response T.K.

Yes, a 0V DC bias would establish an automatic reference (in theory); thus it
would be akin to DC coupling.

However, I am hesitant to make my common mode 0V; because of issues with ground
loops, ground path parasitics, etc and also because the receiver would see
negative voltages.

I realize that this is to first order a biasing issue and allows for
interoperability.

However, are there other considerations ?  I have heard/read that it might
permit hot swappability.  Is this true.  If I had a known common mode level
doesn't that make it easier for hot swapping ?

Also, are there other issues which AC coupling helps with ?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Alief