[SI-LIST] Re: AC coupling of SATA and SAS I/O

  • From: Alief <saifj_m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "T.K. Jeon" <tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>, RichardWard <richard.ward@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 19:30:30 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

There apparently is one impairment that AC coupling does introduce :  some
increase in jitter.

The AC coupling causes the signal to droop :  the percentage droop is approx

(tw/RC)*100

             where tw is the time between data transitions; and,

the added jitter is  equal to (tr*tw)/(2*RC)

             where tr is the transition time of the signal.

AFN,

Alief
From: Ward, Richard <richard.ward@xxxxxx>
To: "Alief" <saifj_m@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "T.K. Jeon" <tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 7:24 AM

Hi Alief,
My initial statement was directed at one of the comments below:
"If your transmitter has 0V DC bias, then I guess you don't need to implement
AC coupling".
I read this as a statement of 0V common-mode from the Tx.
A large portion of the Serdes out there and used for these standards are VTT
referenced or GND referenced swings and given the supply ranges for the type of
systems these go into (often somewhere between 0-0.8V to 0-5V), I don't believe
the statement above (or I misunderstand it and someone will correct me).
We're agreed on the function of the cap - but the prevous thread seemed to
contradict that (to me anyway).

The point about the differently referenced systems was for interoperability
yes, but that fact that it allows a wider range of Si to work with those
standards if ac caps are there is a benefit to all - and therefore usually a
good thing for a standard to have.

For hot-swap, one of the protections the circuit designer needs to put in is
for "things to go wrong" and short. This is a failure mode. It may be a
transient, but it may be someone, somehow, managed to stuff the wrong connector
in the slot - my children are experts at that. We could argue this isn't
strictly hot-swap, but it is a precaution many circuit designers take and label
under the hot-swap banner. The diff pairs, being the most sensitive signals are
usually the most difficult to protect. For EM breakdown limits, time is
obviously one of the major parameters. So if it's a short on a high-speed
signal that's ac coupled...we've blocked the major dc component and therefore
reduced the time and the EM risk. That was the only point I was making there -
caps can be your friends in a failure mode.

Regards,
Richard

________________________________
From: Ward, Richard <richard.ward@xxxxxx>
To: "Alief" <saifj_m@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "T.K. Jeon" <tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, May 7, 2009, 9:48 PM

Hi Alief,

My view is a little different from that below.

AC caps aren't used to set the Rx bias, but to allow the Rx to set it's own
bias point. This is especially useful for rack-to-rack systems where the common
mode cannot be well controlled. It also has the advantages of:

- allowing VTT referenced and GND referenced systems to work together
- allowing a single Serdes to cover multiple standards
- allowing newer (restricted supply) devices to work with legacy devices
- ... (I'm sure someone on this list has written a book or two on this...)

The hot-swap ability doesn't really demand dc blocking caps, but they give
advantages. "hot-swap" is a bit of a nebulous term too, often.
One of the risks of hot-swap is shorting the connections (signal-signal or
signal-supply). Some devices will be designed to withstand the short-term
current only (not long-term lifetime degradation). Having the caps means a
long-term effect, actually becomes a short-term one, therefore EM
considerations are less restrictive on the circuit design side.
I believe PCIE defined them at the Tx for this (shorting) reason (whereas a
majority of non-pluggable applications put them at the Rx side, why? well it
depends).

Regards,
Richard

From: T.K. Jeon
<tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx<http://us.mc435.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=tkjeon@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] AC coupling of SATA and SAS I/O
To: "Alief"
<saifj_m@xxxxxxxxx<http://us.mc435.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=saifj_m@xxxxxxxxx>>,

"si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<http://us.mc435.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"

<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<http://us.mc435.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Thursday, May 7, 2009, 6:55 PM

Alief,

AC coupling is needed to maintain the correct DC bias for receivers. If your
transmitter has 0V DC bias, then I guess you don't have to implement AC
coupling.

TK