[SI-LIST] Re: AC Coupling Cap Voids Questions

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <signal.integrity2@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:10:12 -0700

Dan,

In addition to Steve's reply I would like to note that you can answer your
own questions by simply doing some additional electromagnetic analyses.
Q1: Analyze structure  without another reference plane under the cutout -
the current will  go around the cut out in this case. Compare the results
with and without plane.
Q2: Analyze structure with the vias to the reference plane under the cutout
and compare the results again.
Q3: Analyze cut-outs for single-ended line and use it as completely
un-coupled case. Compare the results.
Q4: Analyze structure with "floating" reference plane  under the cutout.

The results may be S-parameters. In cases if the results for the modified
structures are close to the results for the original structure,  the
modification is not important and the physics is captured by the original
model. Large differences may point out at things that are important to
account for.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882
Cell +1-206-409-2368
Skype: shlepnev
www.simberian.com