[SI-LIST] Re: AC Coupled Signals

  • From: istvan novak <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:46:00 -0400

Hi Jeff,

Let me see if I can summarize this in simple physical terms. The
scattering matrix
deals with power values.  In a reciprocal  network, the 'through' power
is the
same regardless of the direction we go.  The node voltages, on the other
hand,
depend on the local impedance levels, which are related to S11, S22 and
source and load reflection coefficients.

So probably a more generalized condition is that we can shuffle around
reciprocal
building blocks inside a cascaded network, and the resulting eye diagram
will
stay the same as long as we do not change S11 and S22.

Going back to your simulations: if you calculate the pulse response of your
example circuits strictly from S21 of the network, I agree, it will not
change,
since S21 will not change as you move the reciprocal building blocks
around.
Your eye diagram, however, should be usually calculated as Vout/Vsource
(and for sake of simplicity, we usually assume linear driver and receiver
impedances, where their linearity does not change this argument). This
voltage
transfer ratio can be analytically calculated if you wish, from the
S-parameter
flow graph.  The resulting formula is symmetrical in S12 and S21, but
asymmetrical in S11, S22 as well as source and load reflection
coefficients.
If you simulate the transfer response or the pulse response of Vout/Vsource
in HSPICE, you should see the change as soon as the electrical symmetry
is changed.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems