[SI-LIST] Re: AC Coupled Signals

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stephen Zinck <signalintegrity@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:08:14 -0400

Steven,
I would not agree with your following statements.

"I agree in theory with all you state. Assuming a lossless interface to
the capacitor, it shouldn't matter where you place it, given a purely
linear system. But the real world is lossy, even when one makes great 3D
solved structures. Manufacturing and other tolerances tend to take the
trek towards perfection to task."

"Would either of you agree that AC coupling capacitor location may
matter with a lossy interface to the capacitor?"

Insertion loss in a flat impedance linear lossy system will be
independent of capacitor location.  Run the math and see.  The only time
position matters is in the face of discontinuities.   In fact, given a
low loss interconnect with discontinuities and a high loss interconnect
with discontinuities, the low loss system, with it's higher Q, will
often have worse behavior.

An improperly designed 0402 capacitor transition for a 50 ohm line can
easily exhibit a discontinuity of 35 ohms for 50 ps.  If attached to
poorly designed via transitions, the discontinuity will be even worse.
When this is coupled closely to a high capacitance receiver input, a
high capacitance transmitter output, a low impedance via stub
discontinuity, or a low impedance connector discontinuity, it can form a
1/2 wave resonant circuit.  This is most likely the problem you are
seeing.

If the interconnect has essentially flat impedance, position does not
matter.  If the capacitor transition is properly designed, position does
not matter.  All of the data we have on this is proprietary at this
time.  Our understanding of the physics has been verified by full wave
modeling, simulation and measurement.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Stephen Zinck wrote:
> Hi Scott and Steve,
>
> To answer both of your questions, it is the resulting Hspice (with
> S-parameters) differential eye patterns, as viewed at the receiver
> die, that were used to make a comparison of source versus destination
> AC coupling capacitor locations. The system was excited with a string
> of ones, followed by a single zero, followed by a string of ones.
>
> I have not specifically designed a test board that varies the AC
> coupling capacitor location along a trace.
>
> I understand the "shades of gray" here and agree that one can't make a
> "rule of thumb" generalization in our line of work these days.
>
> I agree in theory with all you state. Assuming a lossless interface to
> the capacitor, it shouldn't matter where you place it, given a purely
> linear system. But the real world is lossy, even when one makes great
> 3D solved structures. Manufacturing and other tolerances tend to take
> the trek towards perfection to task.
>
> Do either of you have real world measured results, that you could
> share, that show no marked difference in received signal
> characteristics when the AC coupling capacitor position is varied
> through a 30 inch backplane system (or similar)?
>
> I believe my experience with capacitor location may prove true if the
> capacitor interface is lossy (which is the case). A lot of my
> customers are just looking for quick ways to maximize performance
> using standard component packages and standard layout practices (in
> the end, I don't like to give anything away that is low lying fruit).
> Most of the time I am doing my analysis after the board is in layout,
> where I have limited ability to change the design (unless it is really
> broken). In a perfect world, where I am involved early, the package
> optimization and layout structures can be optimized as you state, but
> only if the margins warrant it (system performance issues are expected
> after initial "what-if" simulations have occurred). The right tool for
> the right job rules the day...
>
> Would either of you agree that AC coupling capacitor location may
> matter with a lossy interface to the capacitor?
>
> All the best,
> Steve
>
> Stephen P. Zinck
> Interconnect Engineering Inc.