[SI-LIST] A question on : 100 ohm VS 85 ohm

  • From: "Shao, Peng" <Peng_Shao@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ye, Chunfei" <chunfei.ye@xxxxxxxxx>, "Chris Padilla (cpad)" <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:11:30 +0000

Hi, Chunfei,
I am honored to read your paper mentioned below: "Improve storage IO
performance by using 85Ohm package and motherboard routing", and I saw a very
pleasing conclusion: "Results show that 85Ohm package and motherboard routing
have better signal integrity performance than 100Ohm even if cable, connector,
hard disk driver and buffer, etc, are all designed at 100Ohm."
But there is one thing unclear left in this paper. What is the differential
trace structure for each of the 85Ohm and 100Ohm? You know that we can change
some different parameters, such as the trace width, the space between the P/N
traces and the distance to reference plane, to get the different impedance of
differential traces. So, I want to know under what kind of conditions you said
in paper "Generally speaking, the reasons for 85Ohm design over 100Ohm include
less loss, ease in routing (cost saving)". I think these conditions are
critical and meaningful for system design. Thanks for your time.
Shaopeng
AE Consultant   Mentor Graphics Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.
Tel:  +86-10 - 5930 4050
Cell:  +86-136 1105 7707
Fax:  +86-10-6808 0319
E-mail: peng_shao@xxxxxxxxxx
Address: RM1512, CanWay Building, No.66 NanLiShi Lu, Beijing, China 100045