[SI-LIST] Re: A question for the instrument guys on TDR and TDT

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:21:30 -0800

Chris, it depends on what we want to know.  Certainly, for a lot of
problems where we are "just" signaling with fixed thresholds, a lot
of resolution isn't going to make go/no go much better.  For
determining power supply response, we can get away with a reduced
dynamic range if we can window it in the right range.
OTOH if I am verifying the design of some structure for a SerDes,
I'll generally take as much resolution as I can get my hands
on.  Ditto if I want to see a low milliohm impedance with a 50Ohm
instrument, it is going to take 80-100dB dynamic range to get there.

The problems that you raise only get worse with increasingly complex
and difficult to access packages.  We have in many places already
reached the realm where direct external measurement is no longer
feasible.  We either can't arrange access, or can't do so at an
acceptable cost in time or money, or we can't do so without unduly
affecting the thing we wish to measure.  This drives more and more
designs with built in measurement capability of some form, and/or
increased reliance on simulation.  In order to keep the simulations
honest, Teraspeed constantly builds test vehicles that we then
measure with as good equipment as we can lay our hands on.

Best Regards,

Steve

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: