[SI-LIST] Re: A question about reference plane in gigabit ethernet design!

  • From: "Jack W.C. Lin" <JackWCLin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Loyer, Jeff'" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>,"Si-List (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:43:04 +0800

Dear Jeff and Istvan:
Thanks for your reply and comments. yes, well understand about drawbacks of
image plane non-exist. I know that if I use co-planner design for
differential signaling, I also can control the impedance even without image
plane. Like most design in LAN card, the reference plane under differential
signal traces is empty after the magnetic module and some of them use
coplanner design to control the required impedance. """One of my question is
, if most return current back through the image plane in differential
signling, why some LAN chip vendors insist that differential signal should
reference to power due to center tap of capacitors for output magnetic
module are connected to power?""" Did they concern about the retrurn current
of common mode noise(signal)? power or ground reference should be equivalent
for high speed design, isn't it? ( of course, I know that some of bypass
capacitors should be used for return current continuity)
Thanks

Jack