[SI-LIST] Re: A Thermal Relief Question

  • From: Jack Olson <pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:51:58 -0500

IPC-2221 is not the best reference for this. The simplistic chart in
IPC-2221 estimates the thermal rise of a single trace on a single-sided
board, with nowhere for the heat to go except into the fiberglass or into
the still air surrounding it. Since the prediction is so conservative, using
it has not led to very many heat-related problems in most designs, but to be
more accurate you need to consider board size and thickness, trace proximity
to plane, etc. Since you are evaluating short trace segments connected
directly to planes, the chart in IPC-2221 is not relevant.
For more detailed analysis, you should get IPC-2152 "Standard for
Determining Current Carrying Capacity in Printed Board Design".
This article may help:
http://HowToPCB.net/HowToPCB-Trace&Space.html<http://howtopcb.net/HowToPCB-Trace&Space.html>

Jack

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:06 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager <
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Ned.Dempsher@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [SI-LIST] A Thermal Relief Question
> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:15:36 -0400
>
> Hi SI-LIST,
>

> I have three rather specific questions regarding the use of thermal
> reliefs and could not find anything in the archives on this.
>

> This is a through-hole power supply pin carrying 20 amps.
>

> We are being directed to limit the number of ground breakout layers,
> which contain thermal reliefs, to just a couple of layers to meet
> solderability requirements.
>

> At the same time we are being directed to, in some cases, add additional
> current paths to the planes using extra vias because the thermal relief
> traces will experience excessive current based on IPC2221 trace
> temperature rise calculations.
>

> I am on-board and understand how the solderability requirements drive
> the breakout but have concerns about the limitations being imposed by
> the temperature rise calculations.
>

> IPC2221 based calculations in our case are being applied to thermal
> reliefs which are very short traces heat sunk to a large plane while the
> IPC data was collected on long traces with no special heatsinks.
>

> First, do you agree that IPC2221 is not a good way to go in determining
> the amount of current that is allowed to traverse a thermal relief?
>

> Second, short of a thermal analysis tool; is there any other way or data
> to provide some guidelines as to how much current is allowed to travel
> through power supply thermal reliefs? (Voltage drop across the thermal
> reliefs is acceptable.)
>

> Third, can anyone see anything wrong with doing this from a PI/SI
> perspective?
>
> I know there will be a millivolt or two extra drop due to the reduction
> in the number of ground planes feeding the supply but all of the ground
> planes are tied together with hundreds of vias at the load so that I
> believe there should not be any higher frequency SI or PI effects due to
> this small change at the supply??
>

> Thanks for Listening,
>

> Ned Dempsher
>
> L-3 Communications