[SI-LIST] 8 layer stackup recommandation

  • From: Mustafa Özgür TUTUM <mustafa.tutum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:52:10 +0300

Dear all, I have 2 questions

1) We are planning to use 8 layer PCB for high speed circuit having max 1.5GHz
clock frequency. Which stackup do you recommend?

First Stackup:

Signal

Ground

Signal

Signal (includes a few power islands)

Power (includes ground island for 4th layers' high speed signals' return path)

Signal

Ground

Signal

OR

Second Stackup:

Signal

Ground

Signal

Ground

Power

Signal

Ground

Signal

Second choice seems good  but  very hard for routing, Do you think it worths to
try second choice?

Which is the best stack up for 8  layer PCB for good Signal integrity and EMC
performance?

2)  Can we say that if any stackup is the best for Signal Integrtiy, it is also
the best for EMC? or reverse?

Thanks for your interest

Regards

Mustafa