[SI-LIST] Re: 6-layer vs 7-layer PCB Stackup

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevin98146@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:19:27 -0700

Kevin, no, I would pretty much flip the stack upside down:

1 sig
small space
2 GND
small space
3 sig
big space
4 +12
small space
5 +5
space
6 diff
small space
7 GND
small space
8  sig

I agree with most of Steven's earlier comments, primarily with regard to
the lack of routing layers in the six layer and 3.3V versus 5V.  Are you
really using so much 5V that it needs a plane and 3.3V doesn't?  My
agreement "wanders" on the subject of capacitance.  Capacitors we can
buy.  Inductance is the undefeatable enemy.  Pushing planes close together
drops the inductance between them.  When you use a voltage plane as a
signal return this is what really counts.  The capacitance comes along for
the ride.  Larry Smith of SUN has been beating the drum on this topic for
some time.

I don't know how big your backplane is, but if it is of any significant
size, then your life will be a whole lot easier if you reference your
signals properly.  I assume that the diff signals in your system reference
GND in the IC packages.  They may or may not.  If they reference something
like 2.5V or 3.3V, that is the layer that belongs on 7, and will affect
what you put on 8.  The idea of putting as much space as possible between
3/4, and 5/6 is to avoid exciting the cavities formed by the voltage
planes.  Your EMC guy will thank you later.

You will do better with connector stubs the further down the stack you push
the high speed signals, and unless you want to buy a lot of extra
capacitors and grief, you don't want them anywhere near your 12V ( battery
? ) supply.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: